- Paul Smart (D.Phil., University of Sussex, UK, 1998) is an integrated member of ArgLab-IFILNOVA at the Universidade Nova de Lisboa. His current research interests lie at the interface of the network, Web and cognitive sciences. He is particularly interested in the way in which our access to network-enabled technologies and network-accessible information resources affects cognitive processes at both the individual and collective (social) levels. Some of his research seeks to understand the effect of network structures on collective problem-solving using computer simulation techniques. Other research relies on the use of game engine technology to explore issues in computational embodied cognition and holographic AI. In addition to his role as a researcher within IFILNOVA, Paul is a director of Cognosys Ltd., a company specializing in cognitive science research and machine intelligence solutions. He is a professional member of the Association of Computing Machinery, a member of the Cognitive Science Society, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, and a Fellow of the British Computer Society.
Research ImpactGoogle scholar. Total citations: 1361 (668 since 2012)
Scopus. Total citations: 213
- Gripon, V., Chernavskaya, O., Smart, P. R., & Primo, T. T. (Eds.) (2017) 9th International Conference on Advanced Cognitive Technologies and Applications (COGNITIVE'17). International Academy, Research, and Industry Association (IARIA), Wilmington, Delaware, USA.
- Smart, P. R. (in press) Knowledge Machines. The Knowledge Engineering Review.
- Smart, P. R. (in press) Mandevillian Intelligence. Synthese..
- Smart, P. R., & Madaan, A. (in press) The Social Scaffolding of Machine Intelligence. International Journal On Advances in Intelligent Systems, 10(3&4).
- Smart, P. R. (2018) Human-Extended Machine Cognition. Cognitive Systems Research, 49, 9-23.
- Smart, P. R., Clowes, R. w., & Heersmink, R. (2017) Minds Online: The Interface between Web Science, Cognitive Science and the Philosophy of Mind. Foundations and Trends in Web Science, 6(1-2), 1-232.
- Smart, P. R. (2017) Extended Cognition and the Internet: A Review of Current Issues and Controversies. Philosophy & Technology, 30(3), 357-390.
- Smart, P. R. (2017) Situating Machine Intelligence within the Cognitive Ecology of the Internet. Minds and Machines, 27(2), 357-380.
- Smart, P. R., & Sycara, K. (2015) Situating Cognition in the Virtual World. Procedia Manufacturing, 3, 3836-3843.
- Smart, P. R., & Shadbolt, N. R. (in press) The World Wide Web. In J. Chase & D. Coady (Eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Applied Epistemology. Routledge, New York, New York, USA.
- Smart, P. R. (in press) Mandevillian Intelligence: From Individual Vice to Collective Virtue. In A. J. Carter, A. Clark, J. Kallestrup, O. S. Palermos & D. Pritchard (Eds.), Socially-Extended Epistemology. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- Smart, P. R. (in press) Emerging Digital Technologies: Implications for Extended Conceptions of Cognition and Knowledge. In A. J. Carter, A. Clark, J. Kallestrup, O. S. Palermos & D. Pritchard (Eds.), Extended Epistemology. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- Smart, P. R., Heersmink, R., & Clowes, R. W. (2017) The Cognitive Ecology of the Internet. In S. J. Cowley & F. Vallée-Tourangeau (Eds.), Cognition Beyond the Brain: Computation, Interactivity and Human Artifice (2nd ed.). Springer International Publishing, Cham, Switzerland.
- Smart, P. R., Scutt, T., Sycara, K., & Shadbolt, N. R. (2016) Integrating ACT-R Cognitive Models with the Unity Game Engine. In J. O. Turner, M. Nixon, U. Bernardet & S. DiPaola (Eds.), Integrating Cognitive Architectures into Virtual Character Design. IGI Global, Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Shadbolt, N. R., & Smart, P. R. (2015) Knowledge Elicitation: Methods, Tools and Techniques. In J. R. Wilson & S. Sharples (Eds.), Evaluation of Human Work (4th ed.). CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, USA.
- Smart, P. R. (2017) COGWEB-Cognition and the Web: Social Minds, Distributed Brains, and Talkative Technologies. 9th International Conference on Advanced Cognitive Technologies and Applications (COGNITIVE'17), Athens, Greece.
- Smart, P. R. (2017) Machine Intelligence and the Social Web: How to Get a Cognitive Upgrade. 9th International Conference on Advanced Cognitive Technologies and Applications (COGNITIVE'17), Athens, Greece.
- Tang, Y., Lebiere, C., Sycara, K., Morrison, D., Lewis, M., & Smart, P. R. (2016) Information Sharing for Collective Sensemaking. Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), Kauai, Hawaii, USA.
- Smart, P. R., O'Hara, K., & Hall, W. (2016) Predicting Me, Experiencing Us: Predictive Processing, Big Data and the Mind of Society. Minds, Selves and 21st Century Technology, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Smart, P. R. (2016) The Rise of the (Social) Machines. 17th IFIP Working Conference on Virtual Enterprises, Porto, Portugal.
- Tang, Y., Lebiere, C., Sycara, K., Morrison, D., Smart, P. R., & Stone, P. (2015) Cognitive and Probabilistic Models of Group Decision Making. Annual Fall Meeting of the International Technology Alliance, Maryland, USA.
- Tang, Y., Lebiere, C., Sycara, K., Morrison, D., & Smart, P. R. (2015) Cognitive and Probabilistic Models of Group Decision Making. 24th Conference on Behavior Representation in Modeling and Simulation, Washington D.C., USA.
- Smart, P. R., & Sycara, K. (2015) Situating Cognition in the Virtual World. 6th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- Smart, P. R., & Sycara, K. (2015) Place Recognition and Topological Map Learning in a Virtual Cognitive Robot. 17th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- Smart, P. R., & Sycara, K. (2015) Using a Cognitive Architecture to Control the Behaviour of Virtual Robots. EuroAsianPacific Joint Conference on Cognitive Science, Turin, Italy.